Activities: 617-666-0296; Maintenance: 617-625-6600, ext. 5200
The city's flagship park, this cheery outdoor space boasts two basketball courts, an outdoor street hockey rink, two lush baseball fields also used for soccer and football, and an extra-large tot lot featuring the city's only super-high slide. But wait there's more. A water play area, plenty of picnic tables and shaded seating as well as a fascinating outdoor museum that serves up city facts and history on colorful, giant lollipop-shaped signs round out the fun. You'd never know the beautiful 4.5-acre site was a former brownfield that the city reclaimed after a smelting company spent 50 years polluting it.
Other highlights include a park house with bathrooms, a state-run DCR indoor skating rink in the center of the property, and a free parking lot (on Bleachery Court). And no resident should miss out on the fun facts on the storytelling path. Did you know, for instance, that Mary of "Mary Had a Little Lamb" lived in Somerville?
- Hours: Daily, 8am - 10 pm
- Handicap Accessible: Yes
- Founding Date: Jul 12 2002
- Parking: Free lot, On-street: free
- Features: Athletic fields, Benches, Playgrounds, Public art, Skating rink
- Services: Restrooms
- Restrictions: No alcohol, No fires, No pets
- Features: Fountain, Jungle gym, Slides, Swings
- Facilities (playgrounds): Benches, Restrooms, Tables
- Facilities: Baseball/softball fields, Basketball courts, Football/soccer/lacrosse fields, Hockey/skating rink
- Facility types: Indoor, Outdoor