Alewife Linear Park ("The Bike Path")
Activities: 617-666-0296; Maintenance: 617-625-6600, ext. 5200
Lined by trees, chain-link fencing and the occasional luxury condo building, this one-third mile pathway links Davis Square to Mass. Ave. in Cambridge. It's shared by pedestrians and bikers alike, as well as dogs out for a stroll with their owners.
To the east, through Davis Square, it links to the Somerville Community Path, which the City and community organizers are working to extend into Cambridge. To the west, it connects to the Minuteman Bikeway, which goes all the way to Bedford. Cambridge's Trolley Square Park sits at the western entrance at Cameron Ave. There you'll find benches, tables and a climbing sculpture for kids.
- Hours: Daily, dawn until dusk
- Handicap Accessible: Yes
- Founding Date: Aug 01 1985
- Parking: On-street: free, On-street: metered
- Are there any interesting facts about this location?: The path was built as part of the construction of the MBTA Red Line in 1985 and runs partly above the subway route to Alewife.
- Features: Benches, Picnic tables, Public art