Ed. note: The following was sent by the city of Somerville:
Mayor Joseph A. Curtatone invites you to celebrate Summertime in Somerville, beginning with two Independence Day celebrations at Trum Field, Thursday, June 28th and Saturday, June 30th. These events officially kick off the summer events season, which includes the annual SomerMovie Fest series, Somerville Sunsetters performances, ArtBeat, the Mayor’s Senior Picnic, and the continuation of the annual SomerStreets series. All events are free of charge and open to the general public, as follows:
- Thursday, June 28th, 6 - 10pm: Fireworks at Trum Field (rain date July 5th)
- Saturday, June 30th, noon – 5pm: Family Fun Day (rain date July 1st)
- Friday & Saturday, July 20th & July 21st: ArtBeat in Davis Sq.
- Sunday, July 29th, noon – 4pm: SomerStreets “Seize the Summer “ on Highland Avenue (Walnut Street to Cedar Street)
- Sunday, August 19th, noon- 4pm: SomerStreets “Going Green on Route 16” (Dilboy Field to Broadway)
- Wednesday, August 8th, 11am: Mayor’s Senior Picnic
More information on each event, including Sunsetters performance schedules and SomerMovie Fest lineup, can be found on the City’s website, www.somervillema.gov.
For the upcoming events at Trum Field, details are as follows:
On Thursday, June 28th, (rain date of July 5th) please join Mayor Curtatone and the City of Somerville for the annual 4th of July Fireworks, with live entertainment beginning at 6:00 p.m.
The entertainment lineup for the Fireworks includes performances by the Somerville Sunsetters, local Disco-Funk band Booty Vortex, the USO Metropolitan New York Performers, and the U.S. Air Force Band of Liberty, leading up to a 30-minute fireworks display at approximately 9:15 p.m.
In case of rain on Thursday, June 30th, live entertainment will be moved to the Somerville High School Auditorium.
Family Fun Day
Family Fun Day will be held at Trum Field on Saturday, June 30th , (with a rain date of July 1st) from noon – 5:00 p.m and will include FREE BBQ, children’s activities, watermelon eating contests, face painting, a Curious Creatures demonstration, music and much much more.
To ensure public safety and pedestrian access to events, several road closures and bus detours will be in place for both events. Traffic alterations will be as follows:
Thursday, June 28th (Thursday, July 5th):
- Broadway from Ball Square to Magoun Square: No parking on either side from noon- midnight. Street closed from 5:00pm – midnight
- Cedar Street from Morrison Avenue to the Bridge: No parking on either side from 8:00am – midnight. Traffic restricted to residents only from 4:00pm - 6:00pm (from Morrison Ave. only). No access to street after 6:00pm.
- Cedar Street from the Bridge to Broadway: No parking on either side from 8:00am - midnight. Street will be closed from 4:00pm – midnight. Traffic restricted to residents only from 4:00pm - 6:00pm (from Morrison Ave. only). No access to street after 6:00pm.
- Franey Road: No Parking on either side from 4:00pm – midnight. Street will be closed from 4:00pm - midnight. Restricted area authorized personnel only.
- Ryan Road: No parking on street on either side from 8:00am - midnight. Access restricted to residents from 4:00pm - 6:00pm. No access to street from 6:00pm- midnight.
Bus Schedule – the route for buses 80 & 89 will be rerouted from 5:00pm - midnight.
- Bus 80 from Lechmere will maintain regular route to Magoun Square, it will pass through Magoun Square and take a left onto Harvard Street to Warner Street until the Powderhouse Rotary where it will connect back to College Avenue and the regular route.
- Bus 80 from Arlington Center will maintain regular route to Powderhouse Square rotary, take a right onto Harvard Street, right onto Main St., cross Magoun Square and return to regular route.
- Bus 89 from Sullivan Square will maintain regular route to Winter Hill at Broadway and Main St. right onto Main St., Left onto Harvard Street to Warner Street, to the Powderhouse Rotary and return to the regular route.
- Bus 89 from Clarendon Hill will maintain regular route to Powderhouse Rotary, around to Warner St., to Harvard St., right on Main St., left Broadway at Winter Hill to regular route.
Family Fun Day- Saturday June 30, 2012 (rain date Sunday, July 1st)
Franey Road: No parking from 8:00am-6:00pm
Due to the large crowds and loud noise of the Fireworks the City recommends that residents leave pets at home. For more information, please call 311, or visit www.somervillema.gov.