After five development groups in February put forward proposals to build a hotel in Davis Square, a number of people have asked about the details of those proposals.
The city recently posted the proposals online, and you can see them, in their entirety, there.
The hotel would be built at the site of the current Herbert and Day streets parking lot, where the Davis Square Farmers Market is held.
One of the development groups, a partnership with OTO Development, LLC and Palmetto, withdrew its proposal, according to the website.
Here's a quick look at the remaining four proposals:
Davis Square Hotel Partners, LLC
A partnership of Sage Management Corporation and Park-Lodge Corporation.
- Rooms: 120
- Purchase price offer: $1,001,4000
- Parking: 144 spaces. This would maintain the 61 public spots currently at the Day and Herbert Street parking lot. Another 83 spaces would be for the hotel. The developers are exploring the option of building an underground garage or leasing spots from a nearby parking lot
- Vision: "An independent, non-chain affiliated hotel … or a flagged hotel, such as an upper-level select-service brand, such as Hilton or Marriott," according to the proposal
- Developer's other projects: Marriott Courtyard, Waltham; Holiday Inn Express, Waltham; Back Bay Hilton, Boston; Cambridge Radisson
- Proposed completion date: June or July, 2015
- Farmers market: The proposal says, "[We] will work diligently to find a new location, both during construction and post-construction, for the farmers’ market."
- Other: This proposal does not include a restaurant. Guests would eat at restaurants in Davis Square
Davis Square Partners, LLC
- Rooms: 126
- Purchase price offer: $2,000,000
- Parking: 110 spaces in a two-level below-grade parking garage
- Vision: A "boutique style hotel." The proposal says, "Our proposed hotel concept would be an affiliated boutique brand or potentially an independent unaffiliated hotel." Brands being evaluated include Kimpton (Nine Zero Hotel, Onyx Hotel, Hotel Marlowe), Indigo, Andaz, and Autograph
- Developer's other projects: Maxwell's Green, Somerville; NorthPoint, Cambridge, which is not yet complete; W Boston Hotel & Residence, Boston; Onyx Hotel, Boston
- Proposed completion date: Spring, 2016
- Farmers market: Would look to relocate the farmers market to the Grove Street parking lot or, if that doesn't work, to the Maxwell's Green property near Magoun Square
- Other: This proposal would include 5,475 square feet of ground-level restaurant space
A family firm that converted a firehouse into The Kendall Hotel in Cambridge.
- Rooms: About 80
- Purchase price offer: $1,100,000
- Parking: About 80, with about 60 below ground and about 20 above ground
- Vision: A non‐branded boutique hotel. The proposal says, "The target market for the hotel will be primarily the educational institutions in the area, including Tufts, Leslie and Harvard."
- Developer's other projects: The Kendall Hotel, Cambridge; The Willowdale Estate function venue, Topsfield; The Mary Prentis Inn, Cambridge
- Proposed completion date: Doesn't say
- Farmers market: Doesn't say
- Other: This proposal would include an art gallery
- Rooms: About 125
- Purchase price offer: $2,250,000, minus site remediation costs in excess of $100,000 and minus offsite infrastructure improvement costs in excess of $50,000
- Parking: 101 above ground spaces, 40 for the exclusive use of the hotel and 61 for public use
- Vision: According to the proposal, "The Hotel is targeted as a boutique hotel concept. Although we are currently looking at this hotel as an unbranded boutique hotel, based on our experience we feel the profile of brands appropriate to this infill location include Indigo, Lofts, or Hampton Inn and Suites."
- Developer's other projects: The Dedham Hilton, Dedham; Mandarin Oriental and Residences, Boston; Hotel Indigo, Newton
- Proposed completion date: Sept. 2015
- Farmers market: Farmers market would continue to operate in the "weather protected" 61-space public parking garage at Day and Herbert streets
- Other: Would seek to collaborate with city on a tax increment financing (TIF) agreement for the parking garage
Advisory Group to Review Hotel Proposals for Davis Square
Five Groups Want to Build Hotel in Davis Square
Davis Square Alderman: Possible Hotel Would Be a 'Boutique' One
City Seeks Davis Square Hotel Proposals by Feb. 4
Aldermen Support Plans for Hotel in Davis Square
Thoughts: Building a Hotel on Davis Square Parking Lot