.

Wheatland Street Fire Accidental, Caused $50K of Damage

Six people were displaced by the fire, according to the Somerville Fire Department.

A Saturday fire that displaced six residents was caused by an electrical malfunction in a first floor bedroom, according to an email from Deputy Fire Chief Charles Breen of the Somerville Fire Department.

The fire, at 84 Wheatland St., caused about $50,000 worth of damage, Breen said. When firefighters arrived at about 4:47 p.m., flames were coming out of the first-floor bedroom window, and smoke damage to the second and third floors has rendered the entire home uninhabitable, he said.

Firefighters were able to contain the flames to the first floor, but all six of the building's residents were forced to leave.

The American Red Cross of Massachusetts assisted three adults at the home with emergency hotel stays and funds for food, clothing, shoes, coats and toiletries, according to the organization.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »