Somerville Fire Chief Kevin Kelleher, speaking Friday afternoon, offered advice to residents about protecting themselves from arson.
Watch the video above to hear his advice.
Here's a summary of what he said:
- Remove overstuffed furniture from porches
- Remove highly flammable items from outdoor areas that are close to your home. These items include things like piles of leaves and yard waste, stacks of paper, recycling bins, flammable liquids, candles, charcoal, hanging laundry, rags and stuffed seat cushions
- Keep your home secure: Lock doors and windows, including doors and windows into your basement
- Turn on outside lights, including lights on your front and back porch
- Don't store trash or recycling under your porch. Wait until trash day to put it outside
- Report any suspicious activity to 911 or the arson hotline at (617) 629-1847