Somerville firefighters responded to three fires over last weekend.
On Friday, May 30, a small fire broke out at Barismo, the new coffee roasting business at 14 Tyler St. An employee was able to put out most of the fire with an extinguisher, and firefighters handled the rest, according to Somerville Deputy Fire Chief Charles Breen. The fire was contained to a roasting machine and the attached vent pipe.
On Saturday, May 31, crews responded to a house fire at 23 Wallace St. near Davis Square at about 11:50 a.m. The second-floor fire likely started in a dryer, Breen said.
The home’s second floor suffered heavy damage due to the fire, and the residence’s first floor had smoke and water damage.
No residents were home at the time of the fire. Two firefighters were injured fighting the blaze – one injured his back, the other received a wrist laceration. The home, which was recently renovated, was uninhabitable.
On Sunday, June 1, a carelessly discarded cigarette started a small fire at 3 Moore St. near Teele Square at about 6:10 a.m. The cigarette ignited dry pine needles behind a two-family home.
The flames spread under the home’s siding and into the sill of the home. Firefighters had to rip open some of the residence’s exterior siding to extinguish the blaze, Breen said.