.

WEEK IN REVIEW: Feline Hero in Monday Fire, $8 Million Bond Approved

Also, Boston Burger Company on the Food Network, zoning laws reconsidered, candidates agree to debates.

Cat May Have Saved Woman's Life in Monday Morning Winter Hill Fire
At least six people were displaced, and one woman was sent to the hospital for observation, after a Monday morning fire at 130 Sycamore St. The fire started in the third floor of the multi-unit apartment building, and the third-floor resident may have been saved when her cat alerted her to the fire. Fire officials originally thought the blaze started when a resident fell asleep with a cigarette, but they later determined it was started by a candle. Two other recent fires were also started by candles, and the Somerville Fire Department urged residents to be careful with candles.


The city launched an initiative called "Somerville by Design," which will kick off with a public "visioning session" on Oct. 17. The initiative will seek urban design ideas for Magoun, Ball and Gilman squares, which are the sites of proposed Green Line stations. It will also look at ways to significantly overhaul residential zoning in the city.

Somerville's Boston Burger Company Featured on Food Network
Boston Burger Company, a popular restaurant in Davis Square, was featured on the Food Network's "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" Monday.


The three candidates in the race for state representative in the 26th Middlesex District have agreed to two debates. They'll be held on Oct. 16 and Oct. 30.

Aldermen Authorize $8 Million Bond for Union Square Green Line Site
The Somerville Board of Aldermen Thursday authorized an $8 million bond to acquire land and plan for the proposed Union Square Green Line Station. The bond will fund land acquisition along with cleanup, engineering and planning efforts connected to the proposed station and accompanying development.

Kevin Dawson October 16, 2012 at 03:16 PM
Most accidental candle fires like this can be prevented! Kevin's Kandles provide an innovative concept in safer candles for illumination. These candles are Much Safer than traditional candles, Convenient, Inexpensive and Environmentally Friendly. If a Kevin's Kandle is left unattended - it will go out; if it is tipped over - it will go out! Ideal for Emergency and Disaster Preparedness. Help reduce the risk of accidental candle fires in our communities by visiting www.asafercandle.com

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »