Construction on I-93 this weekend will close one local road, narrow the highway to two lanes and close a channel of the Mystic River to boaters.
Work continues this weekend on the on-going "Fast14" rapid bridge replacement project. From 7:45 p.m. Friday, July 29 to 5 a.m. Monday, Aug. 1, I-93 will be narrowed to two lanes from Exit 28 in Somerville to Exit 36 in Stoneham.
Access to and from many of the ramps on I-93 South in this area will be restricted.
This week's work will replace structures that carry the highway south over Webster Street and the Mystic River.
As result, Webster Street will be closed and the Mystic River channel near the highway will be closed to boaters.
The on-ramps to I-93 South from Fellsway West at Exit 34, Roosevelt Circle at Exit 33 and Salem Street at Exit 32 will be closed.
Local traffic can access I-93 South using Route 16 East at Exit 31. Traffic entering I-93 South at Exit 31 will travel within a single lane and will merge with I-93 South through exiting traffic near the Medford/Stoneham line. I-93 South will be restored to three lanes before Exit 28.
Local traffic on Route 28 and surrounding roadways is expected to be extremely heavy throughout the duration of the weekend, particularly during daytime and early evening hours.
The Department of Transportation strongly recommends drivers plan ahead and use the posted detour routes and/or public transportation whenever possible to reduce additional congestion.
Drivers and mariners should allow extra time for their trips and to reduce speed and use extreme caution when traveling through or near all work zones.
The $98 million project aims to replace 14 superstructures along I-93 in Medford by Labor Day, with the bulk of the work done over each weekend through the summer.
The following lane and ramp closures are scheduled:
- I-93 North will be restricted to two lanes at Exit 29 (Route 28/38 – Somerville/Everett) beginning with a single lane closure at 7:45 PM with a second lane closed shortly thereafter. It will remain restricted to two travel lanes from Exit 29 to Exit 34 (Route 28 North) until 5:00 AM Monday, August 1st.
- The shoulder lane on I-93 North will be restricted to use by emergency vehicles and disabled vehicles. If warranted due to heavy traffic conditions on I-93 North, the use of the breakdown lane for travel may be allowed in the area from Exit 33 (Route 28 – Roosevelt Circle) northerly to the project limit.
- All of the entrance and exit ramps on I-93 North between Exit 28 (Sullivan Square/ Charlestown) and Exit 34 (Route 28 North/Main Street) will remain open. If warranted due to heavy traffic conditions on I-93 North, the entrance ramp from Routes 28/38 at Exit 29 may be closed. If this occurs, drivers seeking to access I-93 North will be directed to use Route 28 North (Fellsway) and follow posted detour signing to access I-93 North at Exit 33 (Route 28 – Roosevelt Circle)
- On Friday July 29th, I-93 South will be restricted to two lanes south of Exit 35 (Winchester Highlands/Melrose) beginning with a single lane closure at 7:45 PM with a second lane closed shortly thereafter. I-93 South will remain restricted to two lanes from Exit 35 to Exit 28 (Sullivan Square) until 5:00 AM Monday, August 1st.A
- A local traffic lane will be provided on I-93 South to provide access to Exit 33 (Roosevelt Circle – Route 28/Fellsway) only. Drivers with local destinations via Exit 32 (Route 60/Salem Street – Medford Square/Malden); Exit 31 (Route 16/Mystic Valley Parkway) or Exit 30 (Route 38) should enter the local traffic lane and use Exit 33 and follow posted detour signing.
- The on ramps to I-93 South from Route 28 (Fellsway West) at Exit 34; Roosevelt Circle – Route 28/Fellsway at Exit 33; and Route 60 (Salem Street) at Exit 32 will be closed. Local traffic can access I-93 South using Route 16 East (Mystic Valley Parkway) at Exit 31. Traffic entering I-93 South at Exit 31 will travel within a single lane and will merge with I-93 South through traffic exiting the median crossover near the Medford/Stoneham line. I-93 South will be restored to three lanes prior to Exit 28 (Sullivan Square).
- The High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lane on I-93 South that starts north of Exit 28 will be closed throughout the weekend.
Traffic is expected to be extremely heavy throughout the duration of the weekend, particularly during daytime and early evening hours. MassDOT strongly recommends drivers that do not have a destination in the Medford/Downtown Boston area use alternate routes [I-495, I-95 (Route 128), Route 1 and I-90] to avoid the construction area.
Local Roadways & Waterways
- Webster Street under I-93 will be closed to through traffic from Friday, July 29th at 6:00 PM through Monday, August 1st at 5:00 AM. West of I-93, local traffic seeking access to the east side of I-93 via Webster Street will be directed to use Forest Street and travel south to use Route 60 east or travel north to Roosevelt Circle and use Route 28 South (Fellsway). East of I-93, local traffic seeking access to the west side of I-93 via Webster Street will be directed to use Fulton Street north to Route 28 North (Fellsway) to Roosevelt Circle to Forest Street south.
- Route 28 (Fellsway) will be used as the primary local detour route for the duration of the weekend. Traffic signals along the corridor have been modified to address the increased traffic demands to the extent possible.
- In the event of a safety concern with traffic congestion at intersections along Route 28 (Fellsway) or at other critical intersections impacted by detour traffic, State and local police details will provide traffic control to keep vehicular traffic moving and to provide safe crossings for bicycles and pedestrians.
- Wellington Circle (Route 28 (Fellsway) at Route 16 (Mystic Valley Parkway) will experience traffic congestion on Friday evening and throughout the daytime/early evening hours on Saturday and Sunday. MassDOT and the Massachusetts State Police request that motorists adhere to travel lane markings and yellow and red traffic signal displays to avoid blocking this intersection. Failure to follow this guidance will add to congestion and limit the ability of the traffic signals at this location to operate effectively.
- The navigable channel on the Mystic River in the area of I-93 will be closed beginning on Friday, July 29th at 6:00 PM and continuing through Monday, August 1st at 5:00 AM. Appropriate notice will be provided to marine traffic in accordance with Coast Guard Regulations.
The Information in this report was provided by the Massachusetts Department of Transportation.