Invite a friend
Somerville High School Scholarship Foundation Annual Meeting
The Somerville High School Scholarship Foundation, a Dollars for Scholars Chapter of Scholarship America and a 501(C)3 organization, plans to hold its Annual Meeting at Somerville High School on Feb. 11, 2013 for current officers, directors, and members as well as new members.
Contact correspondence secretary Noreen Santucci at NFSLEARN@aol.com or at 617-448-0145 with questions.
More About Somerville High School
Somerville High School's over 1,300 students are offered an education that sets high standards for both college prep academics and vocational training. Roughly 71% of 2010 graduates planned to go on to college, and advanced placement classes, computer and science labs, and the use of cutting-edge teaching technologies helped prepare them. Another 7 percent went on to trade school or other post-secondary professional training, bringing the total number of students who continued their studies to 78 percent.
Meanwhile 15 percent of 2010 graduates went directly to work, many prepared for careers by the school’s fifteen vocational programs, which offer up-to-date, hands-on job training as well as coursework in business skills to students studying for careers in fields such as automotive technology, child development, graphic design, cosmetology, health and carpentry. Culinary arts students operate an on-site restaurant, the Highlander Cafe, open to the public.
Languages taught include Spanish, French, Portuguese and Italian (all also offered as honors classes). Extracurricular offerings are extensive running from academic groups such as the Math Club or Science League to arts, drama, music, social issue and cultural clubs. Likewise, sports activities are numerous and, to name just a few, include football, cheerleading, ice hockey, golf and ultimate Frisbee.
The track, cross country and cheerleading teams are highly successful competitors, with cheerleading winning national titles in 2003 and 2007. Annual events include the school musical and the Multicultural Fair, which celebrates the school's pride in its very diverse student population (47 languages were spoken by the student body at last count).
In existence in one form or another since 1852 (and originally housed at today's City Hall), the sprawling campus includes early 20th century buildings as well as the vocational complex and gymnasium added in the mid 1980s. The grounds abut Central Hill Park, and sports teams practice at Dilboy and Trum Fields.