I know it's been a while since you've heard from me. I can't wait to fill you in on all of the great things I've been up to these last few months, including a small feature on Shape.com.
But first things first, as you've probably heard October is domestic violence awareness month. What you may not know is that it's my passion to help those who have been abused by a partner or care giver. I take what I do best, that being fitness, and teach survivors how to exercise to boost their self confidence and cope with stress. I do this as a volunteer for Respond Inc. here in Somerville.
This month I've taken things one step further. I have teamed up with Cool Cat Events to host a fitness fundraiser that benefits Reach Beyond Domestic Violence Inc. Reach is an organization providing support services in 27 cities across greater Boston and offers hotline support as well as shelter services to the entire state of Massachusetts. Here is some informatin about the event.
A fitness class promoting strength, power and self confidence amoung the community to be held on Friday October 19th from 6:30pm - 7:30pm at the Corpbasics Fitness and Training Club.
I hope that you will join me in support of this cause. Space is limited so I encourage you to sign up in advance. We are asking for a $15 door donation. In addition we will have great raffle prizes including a gift certificates to Corpbasics as well as Massage Therapy Works (in my opinion the best massage clinic in town).
After the class we plan to head over to Ebi Sushi for dinner. Anyone who attends the fundraiser will recieve 20% off their meal that evening. It will be fun!
Now on to the other stuff. Here's a quick update on what's been keeping me so busy the last few months.
- I attended two fitness conferences this summer, the first being the Health & Fitness Bloggers Conference in Denver at the Anshultz Health & Wellness Center, and then the Healthy Living Summit here in Cambridge.
- I was picked to be a FitFluential Ambassador for my dedication to fitness and the well being of others.
- I stepped up to be the Boston Squad leader for Girlnetic, a women's online fitness social club. As squad leader I host/coordinate 1-2 fitness activities a month via our Meet Up group. If you're female and you're into fitness you should join us!
- As I mentioned earlier, I was featured on Shape.com (along with 9 other women) in an article about Instagram and how it's changing the way we view fitness.
- I'm running the B.A.A. 1/2 this Sunday, my very first 1/2 marathon. This is a big step for me.
- Lastly, I'm in the process of being certified as a Cancer Exercise Specialist. With this certification under my belt, I'll be qualified to help cancer survivors regain their strength and range of motion through customized, progressive exercise programs. I'm pretty excited about this one!
I look forward to seeing you on the 19th. Keep an eye out for upcoming posts as I have a few tips up my sleeve for you. ;)
Until then, be fit and be healthy.