You Ask, Patch Answers: Getting a Firearms License
To get a firearms license in Somerville you'll need to provide references, set up an interview with police and complete a safety course, among other things.
Somerville Patch recently posted a short story about the number of firearms licenses in the city.
In the comments section, Joe Lynch asked, "Is it possible for Patch to publish, for the readers, the Somerville rules and regs any resident has to follow in order to receive a permit for any type of firearm license in the city? The MA laws rule, but I know that Somerville has some additional requirements."
I took a quick look at the Somerville Police Department website, which has some information about this.
According to the police department's website, Somerville residents who want a firearms license need to do the following:
- Fill out a four-page application that asks questions about the applicant's identity, background, criminal background (if relevant) and reasons for requesting a license. It also asks for two references.
- Complete a firearms safety course and provide a certificate of completion.
- Make an appointment with the police department, where the applicant will be fingerprinted and photographed.
- Provide proof of Somerville residency.
- Bring a $100 money order.