Wheatland Street Fire Accidental, Caused $50K of Damage
Six people were displaced by the fire, according to the Somerville Fire Department.
A Saturday fire that displaced six residents was caused by an electrical malfunction in a first floor bedroom, according to an email from Deputy Fire Chief Charles Breen of the Somerville Fire Department.
The fire, at 84 Wheatland St., caused about $50,000 worth of damage, Breen said. When firefighters arrived at about 4:47 p.m., flames were coming out of the first-floor bedroom window, and smoke damage to the second and third floors has rendered the entire home uninhabitable, he said.
Firefighters were able to contain the flames to the first floor, but all six of the building's residents were forced to leave.
The American Red Cross of Massachusetts assisted three adults at the home with emergency hotel stays and funds for food, clothing, shoes, coats and toiletries, according to the organization.