Violent Storm Sweeps Through Somerville, Causing Reports of Damage
A quick and violent thunderstorm tore through Somerville Friday afternoon, and there are reports of fallen trees, utility polls, flooding and a fire.
A violent Friday-afternoon thunderstorm over Somerville has caused damage, fallen trees and utility polls, flooding and a fire, according to Somerville police and fire radio scanner transmissions.
Somerville Patch is monitoring the situation and will provide updates if and when they are available.
Police and fire scanner transmissions were busy after the thunderstorm swept through.
According to transmissions, here is some of the damage in Somerville:
- Reports of a fallen tree near 20 Medford St. Reports that a person was hit by the tree
- Reports of a fire at 61 Putnam St., possibly caused by lightning. According to scanner transmissions, there was a fire in the roof at the rear of the building
- Reports of flooding on Cedar Street between Summer Street and Highland Avenue, causing the street to be closed
- Reports of a fallen utility poll blocking Warren Street, near Twin City Plaza.
- Report of flooding on South Street
- Reports of telephone polls down in other parts of the city