The Week Ahead: Art, Soccer and Honk! Gets Underway
A look at this week's events in Somerville.
Heres a look at the week ahead in Somerville:
- On Monday, head to the Blue Cloud Gallery at 11:00am for Charlotte Kaplan - Fish Prints and Paper Sculpture. Charlotte Kaplan of Somerville, has been fascinated with fish for a long time. She is a professionally trained architect and a passionate artist of the human figure. The structure of both buildings and living creatures interest her. The infinite variety of coverings for these skeletons—in this case fish—didn't seem enough for Charlotte, so she created some of her own. In papier mache sculpture, watercolor, and prints, these creatures are reassuringly familiar, but go far beyond anything we may find in a local body of water.
- At the West Somerville Neighborhood School, on Tuesday at 7:00pm you can sit in on the North Street Playground Design Meeting. Mayor Joseph A. Curtatone & Alderman Robert C. Trane invite you to attend an important community meeting to discuss renovation plans for the North Street Playground. Join them to review the new proposed playground designs with their landscape architects.
- On Wednesday at 3:45pm at Dilboy Field & Stadium, cheer your guts out for the Highlanders Girls Varsity Soccer Game. Its free and this week they take on Stoneham. Go Somerville!
- Take your tots to Storytime on Thursday at 10:30am at the Somerville Public Library. This is a great opportunity to teach kids the importance of reading at a young age and a nice quiet activity for parents.
- At Johnny D's Uptown Restaurant & Music Club on Friday at 10:00pm imbibe a few in celebration of the Honk! Kickoff. A spectacular kickoff to the weekend, featuring Boston's own urban tribal brass band Revolutionary Snake Ensemble, joined by an impressive guest roster of HONK! band members! Gather round and enjoy the crazy spectacle that is sure to ensue.