Somerville Should Have 10 Bicycle Corrals—8 New Ones—by April
The DPW will reassemble the two that it stored over the winter and install eight new ones.
There will be many more places to park your bicycle in Somerville this spring. The city should see 10 corrals, which each hold 14 bikes, installed at destinations by April 1, according to transportation planner Sarah Spicer.
At the Somerville Bicycle Advisory Committee's March 20 meeting, Spicer, who serves as a liasion between the committee and the city's Office of Strategic Planning and Community Development, told members that it was likely that corrals would be installed here:
- Broadway, in East Somerville, in front of Mudflat Studio
- Winter Hill, near Winter Hill Bakery
- Bow Street
- Near the Union Square Plaza
- Washington Street, near Union Square
- Davis Square, in front of Diesel Cafe
- Teele Square, near Amelia's Kitchen
- Magoun Square
- Powder House Circle
- Ball Square. (In the past, it was assumed that there would be a corral in front of True Grounds. However, Spicer that it would likely that there would be a Hubway station there instead.)
Somerville attained the corrals through a grant from the Metropolitan Area Planning Council. In November, Spicer asked members of the bicycle committee and the public to tell her where they thought they should go.
The city will distribute brochures about the new corrals soon, Spicer said.