Gas Main Break at Maxwell's Green Partially Shut Down Lowell Street Monday
The Somerville Fire Department evacuated a Maxwell's Green apartment building after a contractor ruptured a gas main. Meanwhile, other firefighters put out a kitchen fire in Teele Square.
The Somerville Fire Department responded Monday morning to a serious gas main rupture at Maxwell's Green, a new high-end residential development in the heart of Somerville, according to an announcement from Deputy Fire Chief Charles Breen.
Firefighters evacuated one of the development's apartment buildings, and police closed down part of Lowell Street for much of the morning, according to the announcement.
According to Breen, a Maxwell's Green contractor digging holes under the Lowell Street Bridge to plant new trees struck and ruptured a high pressure gas main.
Firefighters responded to the area at around 8:23 a.m., and the contractors were able to shut off the flow of gas before the gas company arrived, according to the announcement.
However, before the gas company arrived, gas leaked into one of the newly constructed apartment buildings, and firefighters evacuated the building in order to ventilate the space, according to Breen.
Police closed down Lowell Street from Vernon Street to Princeton Street as firefighters brought the situation under control, the announcement says. Fire companies didn't leave the area until about 10 a.m.
Meanwhile, at 15 Weston Ave. in Teele Square's Weston Manor, other firefighters put out a kitchen fire in an apartment, the announcement says. The fire started on a stovetop at around 8:38 a.m. and spread to the cabinets. Firefighters brought the flames under control quickly, according to the announcement, but the apartment suffered smoke damage.