Five Things: Ash Wednesday
Also, Chinese gardens, tuning El Sistema's instruments, Burgers Gone Wild.
1) Ash Wednesday: Ashes to Go
Today is Ash Wednesday. Among Somerville's churches observing the day, Saint James Episcopal Church is distributing ashes, from the steps of the church, to commuters and neighbors. The distribution takes place from 7 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. The church's Ash Wednesday service will be at 7 p.m.
3) Keep El Sistema Musicians in Tune
El Sistema Somerville, which teaches learning and character development through classical music, has 48 young students from East Somerville. Now, the young musicians would like to learn how to tune their instruments on their own. As such, El Sistema has launched a fundraising effort to help the students get electronic tuners. Donations will be matched if you donate before Feb. 18. Here's how to do it, according to an email from El Sistema Director Diane Cline:
- Visit http://www.donorschoose.org/sistemasomerville
- Enter any dollar amount and click "Give"
- During check-out, enter the code HEART where it says "Match or gift code", and your donation will be matched dollar for dollar
- I'll get DonorsChoose.org gift cards in twice the amount of your donation and use them for supplies for my students
4) Burgers Gone Wild
Order some classic and adventurous burgers tonight at Olde Magoun's Saloon's Burgers Gone Wild event.
Today will be sunny with a high around 41.