Update: Residents, Ferret Put Out By Summer Street Fire
The small house fire shut down traffic on Summer Street Monday afternoon.
Update, July 17: The American Red Cross assisted the family at the scene with emergency funds for food in addition to clothing for one of the family members, according to the Red Cross. The emergency organization is looking for the other two families who live in the building to see if they need assistance. Those families can call 1-800-564-1234, the Red Cross's emergency relief line.
Hades the 1-year-old ferret was among the residents of a Summer Street home that suffered a small fire late Monday afternoon.
District Chief Frank Lee said the fire started in the second-floor ceiling of 217 Summer St.
The fire started around 4:30 p.m., according to Somerville Fire Department scanner transmissions, and by 5 p.m. it was "pretty well knocked down," Lee said.
The district chief said there were no injuries.
A resident of the building said the power in the home kept going in and out, and eventually he smelled smoke coming from the floor of his 3rd-floor room.
"We lifted up the rug we saw smoke in the rug," he said. Firefighters responded and "tore up" the floor to get at the fire. The resident thought it was a ceiling fan on the second floor that started the fire.
Fire officials told the resident the damage wasn't too severe, and it didn't appear the residents of the building, or the ferret, would be permanently displaced.
Summer Street from the intersection of Porter Street to about the intersection of Lowell Street was closed as firefighters battled the ceiling fire.
The home is kitty-corner across the street from Morse-Kelley Playground.