15 Places to Celebrate New Years in Somerville
From fine dining to dance parties, here’s where to ring in the New Year.
From a seven-course feast to a New Years Fiesta to the ultimate no-silly-hats anti-New Years party, Somerville offers many choices for ringing in the New Year.
New Years Respite at Olde Magoun's Saloon
Call Olde Magoun's the home of the anti party. No music. No noisemakers. No New Years resolutions allowed. "This is where people go to avoid New Years, and we're packed every year," laughed Magoun's owner Greg Coughlin. "It's gonna be great because we're not doing anything. We kind of make a joke of it." Coughlin did admit that right at midnight they tune their flatscreens in to the Times Square countdown, but that's it for the thrills. Enter with a silly hat at your own risk.
- Where: Olde Magoun's Saloon, 518 Medford St., 617-776-2600, www.magounssaloon.com.
- When: Open until 2 a.m.
- Cost: No cover.
- Reservations: No way.
New Years Eve at the Foundry
Just because it's their first New Years doesn't mean the Foundry doesn't know how to throw a party. Finish the year by pampering yourself with a four-course dinner crowned by the likes of crab bisque and grilled ribeye in a 20-year port demi-glace (full menu here). Then get a head start on your resolution to exercise as DJ Monster Carl spins vinyl for a dance party.
- Where: The Foundry on Elm, 255 Elm St., 617-628-9999, www.foundryonelm.com.
- When: Dinner seatings 5 p.m., 7 p.m., and 9 p.m. Party until 2 a.m.
- Cost: $45 for dinner. $15 cover for party includes champagne toast and party favors.
- Reservations: Reservations required for dinner. Party reservations and walk-ins accepted (if there's room).
Rockin' Sally's New Year's Eve Party
Ease into the evening with a 6 p.m. show by singer-songwriter Les Sampou. Then boogie to indie rockers The Sarcasmatics (9:30 p.m.). The $10 cover includes a champagne toast at midnight and hors d'oeuvres.
- Where: Sally O'Briens, 335 Somerville Ave., 617-666-3589, www.sallyobriensbar.com.
- When: 6 p.m. to 2 a.m.
- Cost: $10 cover.
- Reservations policy: No reservations required or accepted.
New Years Eve Fiesta
Warm up the New Year with a little Mexican heat at Cantina La Mexicana's annual New Years Fiesta. The live mariachi music, tasty sangria, and a full Mexican buffet (menu here) tend to draw a full house, so reservations for this lively party are advised. But if there's room, walk-ins will be accepted.
- Where: Cantina La Mexicana, 247 Washington St., 617-776-5232, website.
- When: Mexican buffet 8-11 p.m. Live mariachi music (10 p.m.-1 a.m.).
- Cost: $25 admission includes buffet but not drinks. Free bottle of champagne with the purchase of 4 tickets.
- Reservation: Reservations advised but walk-ins will be accepted if there's room.
Rockin' New Years Eve @ Precinct
With popular rock n' soul band Love in Stockholm heading up this party, organizers fully expect tickets to sell out, so get yours early. The show starts at 9 p.m., and the $10 cover includes a champagne toast at midnight and hors d'oeuvres. Want to ring in the New Year feeling special. Reserve a VIP table as well.
- Where: Precinct, 70 Union Sq., 617-623-9211, www.precinctbar.com.
- When: 6 p.m. to 2 a.m.
- Cost: $10 cover.
- Reservations: Advance ticket purchase advised.
Booty Vortex Disco New Years Eve Party
Be prepared to burn 500 calories per hour as you dance to Booty Vortex's nonstop whirlwind of funk, soul and disco. Silly hats, noisemakers and a champagne toast are included in the $25 cover charge.
- Where: Johnny D's Uptown Restaurant & Music Club, 17 Holland St., 617-776-2004, www.johnnyds.com/.
- When: Party starts at 9:30 p.m.
- Cost: $25 cover.
- Reservations: Advance ticket purchase advised. Dinner reservations advised as they tend to fill. Standing room and bar seats open first-come, first-served.
New Years at the Independent
Staying true to their pub/bistro vibe, the Independent is keeping their party low-key. Menu specials including caviar, striped bass and lamb chops will add a festive feel to the usual menu, which will also be offered. Later on party favors, a DJ and a count down will ring in the New Year. Champagne is on you.
- Where: The Independent, 75 Union Sq, Somerville, 617-440-6022, www.theindo.com.
- When: Dinner 5-11 p.m. Party until 2 a.m.
- Cost: No cover.
- Reservations: Reservations are advised for dinner. Walk-ins are welcome at the bar.
Dinner and a Toast at Bergamot
If elegance is what you seek, start your evening with a 5-course prix fixe dinner at Bergamot (seatings 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.) and then head to another soiree. Or reserve the 7-course prix fixe (seatings 8-10:30 p.m.) and stay for the stately champagne toast and countdown at midnight. Reservations were filling quickly the last time we checked.
- Where: Bergamot, 118 Beacon St., 617-576-7700, bergamotrestaurant.com.
- When: Seatings for 5-course dinner 5:30-7:30 p.m. Seatings for 7-course dinner 8-10:30 p.m. Champagne toast at midnight.
- Cost: $75 pp for 5 courses. $95 pp for 7 courses and champagne toast.
- Reservations: Advance reservations strongly advised. Likely to fill.
New Years at PJ Ryans
No cover, no fuss is the deal for New Years at this Teele Square pub. A band will start playing around 9ish and a countdown is sure to erupt at midnight, but this is a casual, no reservations affair, as in you can feel free to have a Guinness toast at midnight.
- Where: PJ Ryans, 239 Holland St., 617-625-8200, www.pjryans.com/.
- When: The usual pub menu will be served. Band starts at 9ish. Party until 2 a.m.
- Cost: No cover.
- Reservations: Not necessary.
Scattershot at The Burren
Dance through the decades with The Burren's regular Thursday night cover band Scattershot.
- Where: The Burren, 247 Elm St, Somerville, 617-776-6896, www.burren.com.
- Cost: $20 cover.
New Years at Orleans
Dinner and a DJ take this party right through to midnight. Start off with a 3-course prix fixe meal then start dancing the night away when the DJ gets started at 10 p.m. The bubbly will be flowing. Both the meal ($39.95 including cover charge) or just the $10 cover include a champagne toast at midnight.
- Where: Orleans, 65 Holland St., 617-591-2100, www.orleansrestaurant.com/.
- When: Dinner 4:30 p.m.-10 p.m. $10 cover after 9 p.m. Party until 2 a.m.
- Cost: 3 Course Meal $39.95 (includes cover). $10 cover after 9 p.m. Champagne toast included.
- Reservations: Advised for dinner. Walk-ins welcome at bar.
New Years Two Ways at Joshua Tree
Partiers have two choices for New Years at Joshua Tree. A $25 advance purchase ticket will get you a hearty roast beef or chicken dinner, which you might need so you can handle the three drinks and champagne toast included in the price, along with party favors. Or scale it down and get the $10 walk-in package, which pares it down to two drinks, party favors and a champagne toast.
- Where: Joshua Tree, 256 Elm St., 617-623-9910, www.joshuatreesomerville.com/.
- When: Dinner starts at 8 p.m. Party 9 p.m.-2 a.m.
- Cost: $25, or $10 covers.
- Reservations: Dinner package requires advance purchase.
New Years at Dali Restaurant & Tapas Bar
Reserve early or the regulars that come back to celebrate here every year will beat you to it. Stop in early for the 5:30 or 8 p.m. dinner seatings, or make this your destination by reserving a table for the 10:30 p.m. dinner seating, which runs through midnight with a Spanish sparkling wine toast (that's cava) at midnight with all the horns and confetti you'd expect from this festive spot.
- Where: Dali's, 415 Washington St., 617-661-3254, www.dalirestaurant.com/.
- Cost: Dinner is a la carte from the usual menu.
- When: Seatings at 5:30, 8, and 10:30 p.m.
- Reservations: Strongly advised.
- Highland Kitchen is keeping things very low key. They’ll be open until 2 a.m. and serving the regular menu. They'll turn on the TVs for the countdown.
- Gargoyles on the Square is offering 3- and 4-course menus ($50, $60, $70 pp) and reservations are advised. The final seating will include party favors and a champagne toast. Details still to come on their website or call.
More New Years Dining Tips
- True Bistro is offering a 4-course vegan prix fixe menu for $55 pp. Details here.
- Diva Lounge and Bistro will both be open and serving the usual menus.
- Lil Vinny's and Vinny's will both be open and serving the usual menus.
- Mike's Food and Spirits will be serving their usual mile-long menu through 12:30 a.m. Stop by for a slice.